Lebogang Tlou photo courtesy of the author.
Lebogang Tlou. photo courtesy of the author.

I’m 22 years old. I was born and bred in Pretoria. However, I now reside in Grahamstown where I’m currently studying towards a BA degree in Journalism and Media Studies as well as Drama at Rhodes University.

All I really wish to do with my life right now is write. To live, and to write all about it at the end of the day.

Someday, when I’m old and stuff, I’m going to shave my beard,  grow a proper potbelly and run for president. Till that day comes, however, all I see myself doing is weaving a path of literary excellence in my wake as I aspire and work towards greatness.

What inspired you to write your story?

I had been suffering from writer’s block when I penned Everlasting. It was inspired by a good friend of mine. This friend showed me the world through a fresh set of eyes. An experience that enriched my own conscious experience

What’s your favourite book/story?

My all-time favourite book has to be Monstrous Regiment by Sir Terry Pratchett. The story serves as a vivid and beautiful example of how women can do anything they put their minds to; even in this – what’s been called “a man’s world”.

Coming in at close second has to be Dan Brown’s “The Lost Symbol”. That book has completely changed my life. It’s provided answers to some of the questions I have been grappling with for the longest of whiles, and at the same time left me thoroughly entertained! A healthy, balanced dose of knowledge and fun.

How much of your work reflects your life?

I firmly believe that the process of actually writing only constitutes a modest 5% of any story… The other 95% is comprised of living the stories you wish to tell. My primary target reader is myself. I write stories I would love to read; and I’m a sucker for believable stories. So what I write reflects a great deal of who I am.

If you were to write a book about your life, what would the title be?

To my


(though apotheosis would be written horizontally and those words would drip down from their primary letter in a somewhat gothic manner… Now that would be cool! Oh, the cover would be splatters of dark paints dripping down and “journey to my” would be writ in gold … Apotheosis would be flaming… )



Last night, we lay in each other’s arms. A faint light emitting through the shirt I had hanging over my laptop. I don’t know why I keep it on at all times. Maybe to keep the dark at bay? But with her here, her heart beating in perfect tune with my own, I didn’t mind the darkness so much. With her near me, I felt as though nothing could go wrong in my life. I felt whole. It was as if our chaotic past had begun fading away. Shooting glowing embers into space, where they lingered long enough to pave the way forward for us. I finally understood what it truly meant to love. It felt as if the barriers that kept our two worlds separate had been broken. We lay in bed – entwined, unified. I wanted nothing more than…

read the rest of Lebogang’s story in our collection of short short stories. Available in print and ebook format from Book Lover’s Market and Smashwords