Publish with us
Submissions Are CLOSED
We publish Afrikan stories, by Afrikan writers, in paperback and ebook formats. We encourage new forms of creative writing in English and indigenous languages.
We aim to publish new Afrikan voices. Afrikan voices that challenge literary forms and challenge expectations of content. We're looking for Afrikan voices that have something important to say. We welcome provocative realist texts and are open to cross-genre fiction that complicates our expectations of what literature should and should not do.
We publish poetry through our online poetry journal www.poetrypotion.com only. We do not publish unsolicited individual poetry collections. So please do not submit your poetry here.
The criteria for publication will be based on the following:
- It must be a narrative for an adult readership.
- It should partially avoid or deliberately contravene literary conventions.
- It should make ample use of an indigenous African language (or languages), even when narrated mainly in English.
- It must be not encourage ableism, misogyny, racism, homophobia, colourism, and should not other, marginalize, or reaffirm any discriminatory ideas about a group, class, or category of people to which a character is perceived to belong.
- Preference will be given to narratives whose setting is African (meaning the story is explicitly situated in an actual/imagined community with a majority of Black/African people).
Eligible manuscripts are limited to fiction and creative non-fiction:
- We will accept works of speculative fiction, mythopoeia, personal history, slipstream, literary criticism, rural fantasy, modern aphorisms, romantic horror, or any type of literature that does not fall under a clear-cut category, so long as the narrative stimulates discussion about literary aesthetics and the need for our current literature to build on the gains of past movements.
- We are also interested in new African fables and folklores for children - i.e. Africa-centred Children's Stories
We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts in the following genres:
- Reference or Textbooks
How to Submit
We prefer to read the entire MANUSCRIPT and make our decision to publish or reject it based on a full access to the manuscript. The first page must contain the CONTACT DETAILS and BIOGRAPHY of the author (50-100 words) and a SYNOPSIS describing the plot of your story or concept of your nonfiction book.
Send your complete manuscript in Microsoft Word (12pt, Times New Roman or Courier New or Arial, double spaced, pages must be number in # of #pages format in the footer.
You can download and use this Submission Template to prepare your submission.
All submissions must be sent using the form below. If you send it to an email address, there's no guarantee that your submission will be seen.