What We Publish
Submissions Are CLOSED
We publish Afrikan stories, by Afrikan writers, in paperback and ebook formats. We encourage new forms of creative writing in English and indigenous languages.
We aim to publish new Afrikan voices. Afrikan voices that challenge literary forms and challenge expectations of content. We're looking for Afrikan voices that have something important to say. We welcome provocative realist texts and are open to cross-genre fiction that complicates our expectations of what literature should and should not do.
We publish poetry through our online poetry journal www.poetrypotion.com only. We do not publish unsolicited individual poetry collections. So please do not submit your poetry here.
The criteria for publication will be based on the following:
- It must be a narrative for an adult readership.
- It should partially avoid or deliberately contravene literary conventions.
- It should make ample use of an indigenous African language (or languages), even when narrated mainly in English.
- It must be not encourage ableism, misogyny, racism, homophobia, colourism, and should not other, marginalize, or reaffirm any discriminatory ideas about a group, class, or category of people to which a character is perceived to belong.
- Preference will be given to narratives whose setting is African (meaning the story is explicitly situated in an actual/imagined community with a majority of Black/African people).
Eligible manuscripts are limited to fiction and creative non-fiction:
- We will accept works of speculative fiction, mythopoeia, personal history, slipstream, literary criticism, rural fantasy, modern aphorisms, romantic horror, or any type of literature that does not fall under a clear-cut category, so long as the narrative stimulates discussion about literary aesthetics and the need for our current literature to build on the gains of past movements.
- We are also interested in new African fables and folklores for children - i.e. Africa-centred Children's Stories
We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts in the following genres:
- Reference or Textbooks
Submissions Are Closed